Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Agents of Smorrk

 "Mechanical Urk" (model, 10" high)

I can never remember if its two K's or two R's. 


I have this idea about how the new CNC 2nd edition game rules will look. (Yes, this mammoth work has been testing now for a couple of years). One of the things I wanted was to physically build things from the game and photograph them. So here we are. I'll be using this image for promotional purposes to "lure" players to sign up to play during GCXII in a few weeks. Of course I know that my sign-ups are only playing because they are hoping that my table is next to one of those restricted gender D&D games.


This is my original ink illustration. Did this last year, pencil and Micron.


The model is armature wire, some wood feet (in one is a magnet, to help it stand) gray craft foam and a plastic lid. The eye is one of those clear encased floating eye novelty things, it's mounted off center to a dowel that sticks out of the back. When the dowel is turned, the pupil rotates off center, thus I can easily control where the eye is looking. A rigid model does not allow for fine tuning while photographing.


Normally I spend lots of time building models, I forced myself to slap this together using hot glue. The bits are from my scrap bin. I would say I had invested 3 hours up to this point.


Here is the back, you can see the dowel sticking out that turns the eye. Notice the milk caps, ball point pen and Lego Bionicle parts. Oh, and the Batman's head is it's "naughty bits".


Next, I sprayed the whole thing, the undersides mostly, flat black.


I brush painted the rest, like a big stage prop. Big brush, up and down strokes. Lastly, I dry-brushed with bronze.


I built this smashed wall as a background.


I thought this was too busy. So I built the other thing and used some colored lights. Enjoy!

BTW, my games at GCXII:


This is a snip from last week. Two of the games are CNC ("Agents of Smorkk" and "Fooglee Quest").
Registration is still on hold, currently both those are wide open. Believe it or not, the BLIND games are filling up.

No comments:

Post a Comment