Wednesday, December 14, 2016

New Way to Generate Random Stuff on the Fly

I like my dice, but sometimes they get in the way. This often happens when role playing conversations and I need to pull something off a list somewhere to spark my creativity. I have always loved that commercial where the two people walk into each other, one is eating from an open jar of peanut butter, the other munching on a chocolate bar. "Heyyy....you got your dice in my table...." 


I took the listings from Mr. Sabbath's "d100 Brutalizer" post and put them on cards I printed out that look like this. His list has around 200 entries, each one of my cards holds 24. His list makes a good demonstration of this format.


Here is how they work. Spin them around so a random side is up. There is a hex shaped card on top that is broken into two rings of six zones. Rotate it and slide your thumb down. You will get a number from 1 - 6 and either an "R" or "C".

I check the hex card result, in this case a 3R, which means 3 REPEAT. I slide the cards down so the 3 slot on each is visible. I got "Barbecued Toe" as a result. Because this can be done while doing something else, (like talking) it's a seamless way to throw in random stuff during play. No flipping through books.


The original purpose was to generate random city encounters on the fly. For example, the players walk into a bar and they see...


...a Mengweer Bucklemaker who says "didn't I kill you once"?

No comments:

Post a Comment